Saturday, May 2, 2015

Confidence Builder

The below story illustrates the “why” I try to stay away from excessive instruction/coaching.  There is nothing that can build confidence more than an athlete solving his own problem. We can tear down confidence easily by telling an athlete everything they should think and do.  Why are we afraid to let our kids “figure it out”?



Everything in life is either something that will build mental toughness for you or hurt you... and guess what... that is your choice to make.



Have you had a major setback you need to come back from? Maybe facing a huge obstacle right now?

I’m going to tell you a true story about overcoming adversity that turned into the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

I began my toughness trainer career as a manager at a Fortune 500 company.  Now, Before becoming a manager, I was an hourly worker.  One day I’m a worker and the next day I’m a manager…just like that.  No training yet, no instructions, just “here’s your desk and office” and I’ll see you at a meeting in 2 hours.

So, 2 hours goes by and I go to my first meeting with my boss and another manager who is supposed to train me.

My boss conducts the meeting and starts talking about all kinds of things I have no clue what they’re about.  I’m scribbling notes as fast as I can from what he’s saying and my partner is just sitting there listening.

My boss is giving us task after task that HAS to be done by tomorrow, the next day, by the end of this week, etc.  Most of it is like Chinese to me, I have no idea how to do the tasks.  I end up with a full notepad of things we have to get done and everything is ASAP.

The meeting ends and my partner and I get together to tackle the list I’d written.  He doesn’t seem to be concerned about any of it. I’m almost in panic mode thinking my job depends on getting all of this done.

“So how are we going to do this?”  I ask him.  He says something like “We don’t have to worry about that one.”

Well how about this next task where we have to blah blah blah by the end of the week?

“Well, let’s deal with that at the end of the week”

and it goes on like this until he says: “I’ve got to go do something we’ll deal with this later.”

As it turned out, A year later, he was let go.

My boss had told me that his door is always open and so I knock on his office door and sit down across the desk while he has his back to me working on the computer.  I ask a few questions about the tasks and he gives me short, incomplete answers and then finally turns to me and says:  “Figure it out, I’m really busy”

My jaw drops as I walk out the door to my office.

Read the rest at the below link.....



http://www.mentaltoughnesstrainer.com/craig-sigl-story-pressure/

No comments:

Post a Comment